SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY PROBATION
One person can make a difference and people just like you can do extraordinary things.
Now is your time. Help make a difference.
Help change the life of a child by becoming a Resource Family.
All youth deserve a safe, stable, and loving environment where they can learn, grow, and continue their journey toward being a healthy, happy, and productive individual.
The possible placement of our youth with a resource family is new venture for the Probation Department and we are excited to take on such a rewarding process. However, we cannot do it without dedicated and invested partners, just like you, to help complete our team.
What is a Resource Family?
• Any individual, couple, or family who wants to provide care to a related or unrelated youth who is under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court or otherwise in the care of a county child welfare agency or the Probation Department.
• Resource Families may be considered for foster care, guardianship, and adoption placements depending on the Resource Family’s goals.
What are the requirements to be a Resource Family?
• Be a San Bernardino County resident
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Complete an application
• Attend an orientation and 12 hours of no-cost pre-approval training
• Complete 8 hours of no-cost post-approval training
• Participate in 8 hours of training annually
• Complete a criminal record check/Live Scan and DMV check
• Participate in a home environment check & psycho-social assessment completed by a social worker
• Complete CPR/First Aid and a Health and TB Screening
Are there any differences in providing care for a Probation youth?
• The requirements are the same in terms of the Resource Family Approval Process.
• Probation youth typically have Terms and conditions from the Court and an assigned Probation Officer.
Will the Probation Department provide Resource Families with Support?
• The youth will be assigned a supervision officer who will help monitor the youth’s behavior at home and at school, while ensuring the youth is following the orders of the court.
• There are numerous classes and services available including, but not limited to: anger management, girls circle, alive at 25, victim awareness, weapon diversion, food handlers certification, fork lift certification, job training, counseling, tutoring, parenting class, independent living skills, and many more.
Please join the Probation Department on our journey to provide safe and loving homes for our youth.
If you are interested in applying or learning more about the rewards and benefits of becoming a Resource Family, please contact us.
We would love to have you as part of our team.
Resource Family Probation Officer Contact Info:
SBC District Attorney
California Megan's Law
San Bernardino County Offical Website
175 West Fifth Street, 4th Floor
San Bernardino, CA 92415-0460
Phone (909) 386-1810
Fax (909) 387-5600
Select a Language Below /
Seleccione el Idioma Abajo
Close this box